Tuesday, June 16, 2009

IE8: on Acid3




Just for fun, I tested Internet Explorer 8 on the Acid3 test. For completeness, the test was run on the morning of June 16, 2009. Today, Opera 10 was released. Opera 10, along with the recently released Safari 4, have attained a score of 100% on the Acid3 test. I also tested Chrome, release 2.0.172.31, and it also scored 100%. Is browser conformance breaking out? Helas, no. Just to prove what I say, I'm including bitmaps of 'About Internet Explorer at the time of the test. As you can read, I am using version 8.0.6001.18702. This is running on XP, as you can probably guess from the title bar.
During the test, I was asked if I wanted to let an ActiveX component run, I believe that it was for XML processing, but I foolishly clicked OK before recording the component name. The test looked like it completed at 12%. I was surprised to see what appears to be an HTML text area suddenly pop up.

After several seconds, the score started to creep up, finally reaching 20%. This is consistent with the scores reported at Anomalous Anomaly, which has much more complete Acid3 test results. Finally, I tested Firefox 3.0.10, which produced a score of 71%. As expected, this is also consistent with Steve Noonan's results at Anomalous Anomaly.

I also checked Acid2, all the browsers scored 100%. Perhaps there is still hope that bothIE and Firefox will be made more standard compliant so that there Acid3 scores can match their Acid2 scores.
[followup on July 20, 2009] Firefox 3.5 is making rapid progress. With Firefox 3.5.1, I have an Acid3 score of 93. My IE scores have remained the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment