Friday, June 19, 2009

Jef Jarvis and what to do next

Jeff Jarvis has more gray hair than me, but he really seems to understand the Internet. He may be best know as the author of What Would Google Do? You can read it online. Fora.tv has some lectures of his:
After listening to him, I am getting jazzed to try some Web 2.0 projects. He advocates being small, but being part of something big. So, what are some big things that we can expect to see? Here is something that comes to mind:

We all like images, and its probably the case that we have pictures all over the place that we like to access. I have pictures on Picasa, a friend has images on MobileMe, my wife has images on SmugMug and Flickr. My kids have images on FaceBook. This is probably pretty common. I don't want more ways to store images, I want a way to reference and search these images.

For images, I would like to have a linker site that lets me reference feeds, on line albums or even individual images on the Internet. Many of these sources provide titles, descriptions and other image metadata. Many images also have EXIF or IPTC metadata. What would be great would be a simple web interface to allow me to build a tool to subscript to several different sources and then subscribe to unified feed. Give the feed a URL and share with friends and family.

Even better, allow images to be linked to urls that identify people - hcard descriptions, home pages, FaceBook pages and so on. Then, you tag images (or better yet, some section of each image) with links to a person. The tags should have some 'types' like 'photographer/owner', 'model/subject' that show the relationship between the person and the image. Some key words links to images would also be great. They I could build feeds for all images linked to family in the last 6 months. Each of these dynamic albums could be given a URL on PubSubHubBub and expose the results has Media RSS. Then, anyone with a Media RSS viewer could see the feed in a browser. Open Iris and Slideshow Pro have inovative Media RSS viewers.

No comments:

Post a Comment